CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 18, 2011

Britney

Wow! What a crazy week it's been! I don't have much time today because I am getting ready to dismantle my computer since we are moving out tonight. I just wanted to recap the highlights of my trip to Reno to see my little sis. When we got there she was in the ICU. I wasn't prepared for the impact of seeing her. She didn't seem very alert and was eating her dinner. She had to eat with her hands because she was unable to use a fork at that time. It was really hard to see her scoop up her fruit with a clawed had and tear her chicken strips apart so she could eat. I hadn't realized until that point just how seriously she was injured. It was like she had regressed by 10 or more years. I could not stop crying as I watched her struggle to do everything herself. She wouldn't let anyone help her. She kept asking about her friends who had been in the accident. When the subject of Bryan (the one who was killed) came up, we diverted her attention, because we knew the pain would be huge for her and she would forget and ask again in an hour or two. Sure enough, she asked again about her friends about an hour later. It was so hard to not just pick her up and hug her to death. Seeing her there and alive was just about the best experience of my life. The second day there, she was transferred out of the ICU and into a new room on the Orthopedics floor. The room was literally three times the size of her ICU room and she was so happy to see all the balloons, flowers, and treats sent to her by friends and family that she hadn't been able to have in her ICU room. By the end of that day, she was eating with a fork and we all celebrated! It is amazing how such a small thing made such a difference to her. Her friends, Jason, Jerry, and Dallon, all came up that night to see her for a few minutes before they had to head back to Utah. She was so excited to have everyone there! That day, she also began remembering the conditions of each of her friends, and we knew it was time to tell her about Bryan. My mom waited until we all headed home on Sunday to talk to her about it. She expressed how sad she was, but that she just couldn't cry. I know it will hit her once her mind is less focused on healing her body and I hope I can be there for her when it does. A few days after we left, she was transferred yet again to the Renown Rehabilitation Hospital. She now had the chance to wear workout clothes instead of her awful hospital gown. She began wheeling herself to and from meals and to the bathroom. Her progress has been so good that at this point they are planning on her being transferred to McKay Dee hospital in Ogden!! It is the only hospital that has all the therapists she will need to finish recovering. It's not quite home yet, but she is getting so close! Her doctors believe she has experienced more brain damage than they originally thought, but hopefully it is nothing that can't be worked out with continued therapy. She is struggling with her fine motor skills and her vision and speech. I am more proud of her than I could ever possibly say. I miss her so much and can't wait to see her again. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to see her and to spend a few days with my sisters, Keli and Cristi, and my brother, Jimmy, while we traveled and laughed our guts out. That's one thing I really love about my family- no matter how hard times are, we can always chuckle about something. Even Britney was cracking up as we quoted her favorite comedian, Brian Regan to her. If I can find it on You Tube, I will have to embed the portion of his routine that had us all laughing. I'm sorry if this post is very random and hurried, but, like I said, my time is very limited! I just wanted to add that the quilt we made her was absolutely PERFECT!! A huge thanks to Keli and JaeLynne, who helped me make it, and to LeAnne, Kathy, Marissa, and the many others who donated fabric and money to help make it. My plan is to make additional quilts for the other victims of the accident as well as one for Bryan's family. The nurses couldn't say enough about the quilt and Britney told me yesterday that she sleeps with it every day and night! Your prayers and love and support have really gotten me through this ordeal. It has been rough on our whole family, but we couldn't feel more grateful. I hope to be on again soon after the move. May the Lord Bless you all! :D

L to R: Keli, Britney, Dad, Me, Cristi, Jimmy (we brought her Apple Beer- her favorite!)
One of many kisses I gave her.
Keli on the way there- Energy drink, anyone??
Jae and I stayed up 'til 3am the night before the trip to finish the quilt. What a lady!!


I hate how dark this is, and the edited version won't post, but here is Brit with her quilt.
Jae with her first Block!
And Keli with her first...
And me with my first!!!